Health & Safety policy statement
The nursery has a responsibility to provide a safe environment for your child. The principal is responsible for health and safety matters relating to the nursery premises. All staff are aware of potential hazards within the nursery and in the surrounding area and actively protect children from them.
In accordance with its duty under section 2(3) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and in fulfilling its obligations to the public who may be affected by its activities, the Managing Director of Little Steps Day Nursery produced the following statement of policy in respect of Health and Safety.
“It is our aim to achieve a working environment which is free of work- related accidents and ill health and to this end we will pursue continuing improvements from year to year.
We undertake to discharge our statutory duties by:
- identifying hazards in the workplace, assessing the risks related to them and implementing appropriate preventative and protective measures;
- providing safe and well-maintained work equipment;
- establishing and enforcing safe methods of work;
- recruiting and appointing staff who have the skills, abilities and competence commensurate with their role and level of responsibility;
- ensuring that tasks given to employees are within their skills, knowledge and ability to perform;
- ensuring that technical competence is maintained through the provision of refresher training as appropriate;
- promoting awareness of health and safety and good practice through effective communication or relevant information;
- furnishing sufficient funds needed to meet these objectives.
For their part, all employees are encouraged to contribute actively to achieving a work environment that is free of accidents and ill health.
Our health and safety policy is reviewed annually to monitor its effectiveness and to ensure that it reflects changing needs and circumstances.
This policy is to be read in conjunction with the responsibilities, procedures and applicable safe systems of work that together form the Little Steps Day Nursery staff manual.”